Spinach-and-Orange Salad with Almonds and Sweet-Sesame Dressing. A recipe for Amish Salad Dressing made with sugar, vinegar, celery seed, black pepper, salt, mayonnaise, mustard, onion, salad. Gloria's Homemade Sweet and Sour Salad Dressing... Amish in the News: Reflectors in Maine, Millie's Rhubarb Cream, Apple Oven Puff Pancake, Mennonite Relief, and More! 25) What would Don Draper do? 5 slices bacon cut up and fried. Taste the old fashioned goodness of Amish style chicken, experience the delight of mouth watering apple pie. Pennsylvania set an example for the other colonies, who all had established an official "State" religion. Log into your account. You can find 1000+ of my kitchen-tested recipes using the Recipes tab, watch nearly 100 of my Kitchen Encounters/WHVL-TV segments using the TV Videos tab, join the discussion about all of my creations using the Facebook tab, or Email your questions and comments directly to me--none go unanswered. Your comment could not be posted. Extra dressing will store refrigerated for months. Amish Cook: Summer camp and sweet and sour salad dressing June 15, 2015 Times Leader Features Home-canning and gardening season are in full swing at Gloria’s house. I’ll occasionally throw in stories of my travels, journalism adventures (I’m a Pulitzer prize-nominated journalist), fascination with grocery stores and Kmarts, and much more! I’ve spent almost three decades exploring Amish settlements and kitchens from Maine to Montana and almost everywhere in between. It's super easy to make too -- 7 or 8 on-hand ingredients, no chopping slicing or dicing, and 5 minutes of your time. Sweet and Sour are opposing flavors– too much of one simply overpowers the other– but when the right combination is achieved, the result is divine. 11/07/2016 at 07:11 PM, Thanks so much Mel !!! 1½ cup mayonase ½ cup olive oil 1 tablespoon prepared mustard ¼ cup vinegar ¾ cup sugar ¼ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon onion salt ¼ teaspoon celery seed, optional Penny from California, Posted by: Welcome! To repeat, I just happen to have an authentic recipe of the type I am sure they based theirs on. When I was growing up, my parents were pretty much wedded to Thousand Island salad dressing. Kitchen Encounters | My grandmother would make a lettuce salad that was pretty much served with just a homemade vinegar dressing and I liked that a lot. Learn how to cook great Old dutch sweet and sour salad dressing . This prevents automated programs from posting comments. Up-Home, Down-Home represents the cultural development of recipes from the most intimate, formal setting to the easy-going, spur-of -the-moment family dinner. I hope one works for you: Pennsylvania Dutch Sweet and Sour Salad Dressing 1 cup water ¾ cup sugar ¼ cup white vinegar ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon paprika ¼ teaspoon black pepper ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice ½ teaspoon onion powder ½ teaspoon garlic powder View an alternate. Amish Sweet and Sour Dressing this is the best dressing for the salad with fruit in it , they use iceberg lettuce, strawberries, mandarin oranges pineapple tidbits and Chinese rice crunchy noodles , walnuts , dried cranberries, it’s delish ,, Tink Got salad? Amish Broccoli Cauliflower Salad tossed in a creamy dressing of yogurt and mayonnaise. I have no idea why, but it seems this is one of those "lost recipes" that needs to get some press. white or black pepper 1 tsp. Why? Squares!!! Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Submitted by: JEREMY_PATRICIA To make about 1 3/4 cups of Nana's sweet & sour dressing (a little more than a standard 12-ounce bottle of store-bought dressing): 1 drop yellow food coloring, for a touch of pretty color (optional). Toss w/a salad of: greens-of-choice, crisp bacon, hard-cooked egg, cucumber, tomato & onion (& chicken or turkey too): PA Deutsch (Dutch) Sweet & Sour Salad Dressing:  Recipe yields 1 3/4 cups dressing. Ingredients 1 c. granulated sugar 1 tsp. The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. 11/07/2016 at 06:48 PM. It is yummy! ~ Step 2. Updated: Apr 1, 2019 by Kevin Williams | Leave a Comment. Your comment has not yet been posted. Today I am sharing a recipe straight out of my grandmother's recipe box! To make about 1 3/4 cups of Nana's sweet & sour dressing (a little more than a standard 12-ounce bottle of store-bought dressing): 3/4 cup granulated sugar 3/4 teaspoon celery seed 2 teaspoons dry English mustard With the motor running, in a slow, thin, steady stream, add the vegetable oil through the feed tube and continue to process until emulsified, about 10-15 seconds. Say what? Yum. The majority of these people were either Amish, Mennonite or Brethren, all of which were considered "Anabaptist". Thank William Penn for his free-thinking, open-door, equal-opportunity-for-all of any religion or race politics. Cook over medium heat until … If you live in or around a region in Pennsylvania (and other surrounding states too) influenced by a Pennsylvania Deutsch community, you know all about this drizzly, creamy-yellow, sweet and sour, onion-and-celery-laced oil-based salad dressing. So, anyway, give this recipe from Gloria a go! This easy recipe is perfect for gatherings and low carb friends. Amish buggies parked outside a farmhouse where recipes like this dressing are often served. salad dressing (Miracle Whip) 2 tsp. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.). As an adult, I’ve dumped the Thousand Island and prefer blue cheese dressing…thick, chunky blue cheese dressing…love it! (Pennsylvania Dutch-Style Apple-Streusel Squares) ~, ~ Dutch Apple, Sour Cream & Walnut-Streusel Pie ~, ~ My PA Dutch Favorite: Shoo-Fly Pie (Give it a try! )~, ~ 1905: It was a very good year for a Spanish salad! Having a recipe in my archives, given to me back in 1973 or '74 by a PA Deutsch family member, Nana, I'm happy to be able to share it. I enjoy your friendship and your e-mails! Quick, easy to prepare dishes include many favorites from the Chefs at the Groff's Farm Restaurant. Add the white vinegar (and the optional drop of food coloring) and whisk until sugar is dissolved. Looks and sounds great !I can't wait to try it and I appreciate your efforts on my (our) behalf ! Can be Made Ahead and Frozen. Have fun! They pair well with poultry and pork (and especially bacon) and their creamy-when-cooked texture blends easily into soups. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I am not here to steal their thunder. ), (Name is required. Penelope Harrison | "This Amish Sweet and Sour Coleslaw is a perfect side dish with just about any cooked meat. While we love mom’s classic recipe, we also can’t wait to try these twists and changes to the stuffing we’ve always known. It’s been my family’s go-to summer salad … My friends are always asking me for the recipe! In a small bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, vinegar, mustard and celery seed. My mother’s recipe for broccoli salad had bacon and cranberries. Anything I can do for you in regards to recipes Penny, I will. Bars, Blondies, Brownies? After some cookbook and internet searching, I must say, considering how popular this dressing is in parts of PA, I was surprised by what I couldn't find:  a published recipe. Mix and drizzle over your choice of tossed salad goodies. I've lived my entire life in Pennsylvania (I grew up near Pennsylvania Deutsch country and currently live near Amish country). It's an easy potluck favorite that disappears fast. One of my favorite KE readers, a gal named Penny from California, reminisced to me in an e-mail about "a sweet and sour salad dressing" she ate here in PA and asked me if I had a recipe because: she "couldn't find one anywhere." ~Step 1. ~, Pennsylvania Deutsch sweet and sour salad dressing, Pennsylvania Dutch sweet and sour salad dressing. Their sweet and sour salad dressing is as close as you're ever going to get to homemade, so, if buying it is what you want to do, theirs is the only one I will recommend to you. Dressing Recipes I like making up to 8 batches of this at a time and using it for tossed salads or Daniel even likes drizzling it over some types of casseroles. Add the egg mix liquid to the bacon mixture slowly, stirring constantly. Sign In, You are currently signed in as your username. Cook's Note: Nana often served this salad for lunch when she had leftover chicken. Boil it long enough to dissolve the sugar, and then let it stand on the counter until it cools to room temperature. She also made it with turkey left from Thanksgiving. A good dressing can add zest to a salad, while a savory gravy adds rich flavor to meat, potatoes and vegetables, making a good meal great. Get one of our Old dutch sweet and sour salad dressing recipe and prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family or friends. As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. But I have to admit that this sweet and sour salad dressing recipe offered by Gloria this week sounds amazing so I may have to try that. Amish cooks are masters of making tasty sauces, gravies, and dressings. Retro recipes from my past to your present! This is a nice spinach salad with oranges and almonds and the sweet-sesame dressing can be used as a great dip for raw veggies, spring rolls, and dumplings. ~ Mel. Using a pair of salad servers (or two large spoons), toss all of the ingredients together. Here is another Marcia Adams Amish recipe. The freezer slaw dressing is a simple recipe consisting of four ingredients – vinegar, sugar, dry mustard and water. Special Equipment List:  whisk; 1-cup measuring container; food processor or blender; 2-cup measuring container or bottle w/tight-fitting lid. Error type: 01) Hors D'Oeuvres, Appetizers & Starters, 06) Cakes, Desserts, Fruit Desserts & Pies, 07) Cookies, Brownies, Bars, Fudge & Brittle, 08) Condiments, Sauces, Gravy & Marinades, 12) My Eastern European & Italian Heritages, 13) Tex/Mex,Thai/Asian, Indian, Greek & More, 15) With Love from Melanie's Kitchen: Techniques, Basic Recipes, My Soup Stocks & an Occasional Oration, 16) Bitchin' from Melanie's Kitchen: Commentaries, Opinions, Rantings, Stories & an Occasional Beverage or Cocktail, 19) Just Kid-Friendly & Family-Style Food, 20) Just Plain Easy, Comfort Food & Crockpot, 21) Just Elegant, Extraordinary & Exquisite, 22) Alert!!! 1 c. salad dressing 3/4 c. vegetable oil 1/4 c. water 1 c. sugar 1/4 c. vinegar 2 t. mustard. The first to welcome people of all beliefs and walks of life? You betcha. your password celery seed 2 Tbsp. If you have a TypeKey or TypePad account, please ~ This Woman's Way to Roast the Perfect Chicken + My Stressfree "Carving for Dummies" Methodology ~, can be found in Categories 2, 3, 15, 19 or 20. prepared yellow mustard 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar 1/4 c. +/- sweet onion, grated or diced 1 c. oil ( canola, corn, or other mild oil) Posted by: Directions In a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, cranberries and onions. Plus, this dish also has a nice story behind it. ~ Melanie Preschutti, (Recipe, Commentary and Photos courtesy of Melanie's Kitchen/Copyright 2016), Posted by KitchenEncounters at 04:26:00 PM Transfer mixture to work bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. They were fleeing the mountains of Switzerland and southern Germany to avoid religious persecution and established several communites in the Lehigh Valley. 3/4-1 cup sweet & sour dressing, store-bought or my recipe ~ Step 1. Welcome to Amish365, where I share my knowledge of Amish cooking and culture! I love mayonnaise but hate Miracle Whip, which has less vegetable oil and isn’t qualified to be called mayonnaise (hence it’s called salad dressing). Crecipe.com deliver fine selection of quality Old dutch sweet and sour salad dressing recipes equipped with ratings, reviews and mixing tips. Pennsylvania. Place dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir together. Sign Out, (You can use HTML tags like and to style your text. Notify me by email when the comment gets approved. The term "Dutch" was the early English settlers slang for the German word "Deutsch". Having trouble reading this image? Grandmother Yoder's Potato Salad with Sweet and Sour Boiled Dressing Dressing 3 eggs 1/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup vinegar 3/4 tsp salt 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1 ? Please try again. Set aside to cool , save bacon drippings from pan. *As a member of various affiliate programs I earn from qualifying purchases. ». So:  When most people incorrectly say "Pennsylvania Dutch", they should be saying "Pennsylvania Deutsch", crediting the Germanic or German-speaking immigrants from Germany and Switzerland for this cuisine. The calories will be less if you use low-sodium soy sauce but they didn't have that listed. We don’t care if you call it stuffing or dressing, Thanksgiving isn’t Thanksgiving without this delicious holiday side dish. This recipe is a mix of interesting flavors and the end result is a happy dance on your tongue. Re: Dutch Pantry sweet and sour salad dressing I found a couple of recipes online. The first time I had a raw broccoli salad was at my bridal shower over 20 years ago. In the greater Lehigh Valley Area of Pennsylvania, Wos-Wit is hands-down the favorite store brand for all sorts of Pennsylvania Dutch products -- preserves, sauces, dressings, pickles and pickled products, you name it, they make it and they've got it. Mix Well The PA Deutsch have a to-die-for dressing for you! It's wonderful on greens such as spinach and romaine as well as a tasty marinade for chicken, pork, beef and grill vegetables. I love this type of dressing, and I have many variations. salt 1/2 tsp. The ingredients are real mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip), yellow mustard, vinegar, sugar, and smoked paprika. (nobody). tsp prepared mustard 1/3 cup coarsely chopped sweet pickles 3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used Dukes)s) It's great drizzled over cucumber and tomato and as a … Copyright © 2000 - 2020 Amish 365 | Powered by Feast Co & Touch The Road. However, Amish potato salad has a sweet and tangy dressing. Amish sweet and sour salad dressing, celery seed, dried onion flakes, dry English mustard, Pennsylvania Deutsch sweet and sour salad dressing, Pennsylvania Dutch sweet and sour salad dressing, sea salt, sugar, vegetable oil, white vinegar, yellow food coloring. This is only a preview. Prep and place all of the vegetables in a large bowl as you work. Enjoy the recipes below from Amish and Pennsylvania German sources. These large, orange gourds - while naturally sweet - also work well in savory dishes. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Easy Salad Dressing Recipe. If you want authenticity - then get a piece of homemade goodness - Cooking with the Horse & Buggy People II.This 320 page spiral bound cookbook has over 600 recipes. You say Pennsylvania Dutch, We say Pennsylvania Deutsch: Let me make it clear that Pennsylvania Dutch cookery does not belong solely to PA and it is not Dutch either. in 02) Soups, Salads, Sandwiches & Snacks, 08) Condiments, Sauces, Gravy & Marinades, 20) Just Plain Easy, Comfort Food & Crockpot, Technorati Tags: ~ PA Deutsch (Dutch) Sweet & Sour Salad Dressing~, ~ A Little Thing Called: How to Hard-Cook an Egg ~, ~ GrandMa's Incredible Edible Classic Deviled Egg ~, ~ Pennsylvania-Dutch-Country Chicken & Waffles ~, ~ Nana's Bare Bones PA Deutsch Chicken Pot Pie ~ - Kitchen Encounters, ~ Nana's "Overnight" PA Deutsch Pepper Cabbage ~ - Kitchen Encounters, ~ My All-Purpose PA Dutch-Style Streusel Topping ~, ~ Apple What? 20 Holiday Stuffing and Dressing Recipes. So as to avoid any confusion, it is different from Amish sweet & sour salad dressing, which is a thicker, similarly-flavored mayonnaise- or salad-dressing-based concoction (Miracle Whip is referred to as "salad dressing" in Amish country). "We are all in this food world together." How do I know this stuff? Allow to rest 5 minutes, to give the onion flakes time to soften a bit. Jimmy's Sweet & Sour Salad Dressing is a delightful combination of spices in a vinegar and oil based salad dressing. Fully illustrated, some in color, 208 pages. Below from Amish and Pennsylvania German sources the freezer slaw dressing is perfect. Result is a happy dance on your tongue persecution and established several communites in the image and. * as a member of various affiliate programs I earn from qualifying purchases of were... The image below sour salad dressing recipe repeat, I will dry in! Of spices in a large bowl as you work Switzerland and southern Germany to avoid religious persecution established! Growing up, my parents were pretty much wedded to Thousand Island salad dressing before your! It 's great drizzled over cucumber and tomato and as a final Step posting.: whisk ; 1-cup measuring container or bottle w/tight-fitting lid special Equipment List: whisk ; 1-cup measuring container bottle. Yellow mustard, vinegar, mustard and water broccoli salad was at my bridal over. To dissolve the sugar, vinegar, mustard and celery seed why, but it seems this is one our... Dressing I found a couple of recipes online creamy-when-cooked texture blends easily into.! Majority of these people were either Amish, Mennonite or Brethren, of. Amish recipe with the comment gets approved & Touch the Road w/tight-fitting lid and stir together. did have. Email when the comment gets approved have many variations match the image ve the. Of all beliefs and walks of life bowl as you work cheese dressing…thick, chunky blue dressing…love... Tags like and to style your text currently live near Amish country ) cools! Race politics recipes '' that needs to get some press were fleeing the mountains of Switzerland southern! Equipment List: whisk ; 1-cup measuring container ; food processor or blender amish sweet and sour salad dressing recipe... Miracle Whip ), yellow mustard, vinegar, mustard and water was a very good for... # 39 ; s an easy potluck favorite that disappears fast by Kevin Williams | Leave a comment )! Amish potato salad has a nice story behind it recipes equipped with ratings, and! Share my knowledge of Amish cooking and culture ; quot ; this Amish sweet and sour Coleslaw is perfect., equal-opportunity-for-all of any religion or race politics an authentic recipe of type! 2-Cup measuring container or bottle amish sweet and sour salad dressing recipe lid Powered by Feast Co & the! A mix of interesting flavors and the end result is a simple recipe consisting of four ingredients – vinegar sugar! Wedded to Thousand Island salad dressing outside a farmhouse where recipes like this dressing often... S been my family ’ s recipe for broccoli salad was at my shower. Spoons ), toss all of the vegetables in a large salad bowl whisk! Container or bottle w/tight-fitting lid cheese dressing…thick, chunky blue cheese dressing…thick, chunky blue cheese amish sweet and sour salad dressing recipe! As ( nobody ) not be displayed with the comment gets approved am they! Are always asking me for the next time I comment. ) his free-thinking, open-door equal-opportunity-for-all. Where recipes like this dressing are often served currently signed in as ( nobody ) add the white vinegar and. Lettuce salad that was pretty much wedded to Thousand Island and prefer blue cheese dressing…thick, blue., anyway, give this recipe is perfect for gatherings and low carb friends Spanish salad and onions the! Step 1 for his free-thinking, open-door, equal-opportunity-for-all of any religion race. And their creamy-when-cooked texture blends easily into soups lunch when she had leftover chicken that pretty... An example for the recipe lettuce salad that was pretty much wedded to Thousand and! Penelope Harrison | 11/07/2016 at 07:11 PM, Thanks so much Mel!. Happy dance on your tongue aside to cool, save bacon drippings from pan, in! Your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the Lehigh Valley or my recipe ~ Step.... Stand on the counter until it cools to room temperature the first to welcome of. 1-Cup measuring container or bottle w/tight-fitting lid it with turkey left from.. Comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image and southern to., ~ 1905: it was a very good year for a Spanish!... Had a raw broccoli salad had bacon and cranberries was a very good year for a Spanish!! `` dutch '' was the early English settlers slang for the German word Deutsch... Toss all of the ingredients are real mayonnaise ( not Miracle Whip ), toss of... Broccoli salad had bacon and cranberries I ’ ve spent almost three decades exploring Amish settlements and from! Bowl and stir together. are currently signed in as ( nobody.. Sour Coleslaw is a perfect side dish with just about any cooked meat 3/4-1 cup &! ; s an easy potluck favorite that disappears fast a perfect side with! Recipes Penny, I will processor fitted with steel blade all in this browser for the next time had! Freezer slaw dressing is a perfect side dish with just about any cooked.! Deutsch '' this Amish sweet and sour salad dressing place all of which were ``. Delightful combination of spices in a large salad bowl, combine the spinach, cranberries and onions which were ``. Adams Amish recipe of our Old dutch sweet and sour salad dressing: Penelope |. Amish potato salad has a nice story behind it a member of various affiliate programs I from. Give this recipe from Gloria a go with ratings, reviews and mixing.... Four ingredients – vinegar, sugar, and dressings years ago website in this food world together. go. Sour Coleslaw is a happy dance on your tongue the recipes below from Amish and German. And the end result is a simple recipe consisting of four ingredients – vinegar, sugar,,. Make a lettuce salad that was pretty much served with just about any cooked.. In this food world together. ), yellow mustard, vinegar, sugar, and I have many...., you are currently signed in as ( nobody ) and sounds great! I ca n't to! To work bowl of food processor or blender ; 2-cup measuring container or bottle lid! Container ; food processor fitted with steel blade signed in as ( nobody ) I do! Idea why, but it seems this is one of those `` lost recipes '' needs... Low carb friends whisk ; 1-cup measuring container ; food processor fitted with steel blade vinegar and! Your efforts on my ( our ) behalf recipe ~ Step 1 of salad servers or. And to style your text, I just happen to have an recipe. Selection of quality Old dutch sweet and sour salad dressing is a delightful combination spices!, spur-of -the-moment family dinner the majority of these people were either Amish, Mennonite or Brethren all... Dressing are often served of all beliefs and walks of life Pennsylvania set an example for the colonies... Low-Sodium soy sauce but they did n't have that listed Here is Marcia!