Prune the tree lightly in the summer after harvesting the fruit. The new location might just be a bit stressful causing some of the older leaves to mature and want to die off more quickly than you expect from previous behaviour. Pineapple guava is just as resistant to diseases as it is unattractive to pests, and few bother it consistently, although there are two for which to watch: Cercospora leaf spot is a fungal disease that causes brown spots on the leaves. Try spraying the leaves and air around your plant to create the humidity it requires. You can pick the thick, fleshy flower petals right off the plant and eat them as a sweet, crispy treat. So, did you ever find out what these brown spots were and did your Pineapple Guava recover? Simply leave them out at room temperature until they reach your desired consistency and flavor. I've inspected the plants a few times now for insects but the only thing I've found are a couple of small spiders here and there hanging in the webs they make between the branches. Pineapple Guava is an attractive, evergreen shrub with thick, leathery green leaves that are silvery underneath. I guess that can't be the problem because some of the new growth has it too. Skin the pineapple and cut it into bite-size chunks or wedges; large wedges expose less surface of the cut pineapple to air than chunks do, reducing the amount of oxidation and browning. Shaking the plant will of course hurry the leaf drop. Any acidic substance inhibits some browning, or oxidation, in pineapples by killing some enzymes that react with oxygen to turn the fruit brown. This makes it more accessible so it's easier to eat before it goes bad. Our black land is alkaline, so that may be part of your problem. Cold damage to feijoa leaves results in a pale, dull leaf, perhaps turning evenly light brown, and falling off the plant some weeks later. I also put a tiny sprinkling of Job's 4-4-4 organic powder fertilizer. At a most basic level, I would recommend treating the tree with both a fungicide and a pesticide. Thanks, Follow these tips for using different kinds of plants as living privacy screens, Plant these moisture-rich, fire-resistant plants in your landscape to help prevent fire spread, This productive kitchen garden in Southern California offers design ideas for backyard farming, The 7 Best Plant Types for Creating Privacy and How to Use Them, 12 Fire-Wise Plants to Help Protect Your Home and Garden, Tour an Inspiring Edible Garden in the Santa Ynez Foothills, planting fruit trees in northern Colorado looking for best varieties. Brown leaves appearing on trees in spring can indicate frost damage. The spots gradually widen until they have a gray coloration in the center and a brownish tinge on the edges. There may be too little natural water falling. Someone said I was overwatering and I haven't done so in the past couple weeks (overwatered, that is) but still seem to e having some issues. Here is a link that might be useful: Milk & water cures blackspot fungus? Because pineapples don't ripen once they're picked, they arrive at your grocery store ready to eat -- giving you only a short time before they start to turn brown. Apply the fertilizer according to package directions. Aside from marring the close-up appearance of the foliage, the bush continues to flower and fruit well. They fall off the plant when they're ready to eat, though they can be picked earlier and left to ripen on a kitchen counter. This can ruin the tree's appearance temporarily, but it's unlikely to kill the tree. Frost can damage a pineapple's leaves, causing them to turn brown and wilt. Wrapped in plastic, cut pineapple stays yellow for three to four days in the fridge. They have brown spots on their leaves that are not outlined with yellow. We just planted a guava tree and it seems to be struggling. I am planning on getting them in the ground this weekend, but the past few days I have noticed my leaves are starting to curl. Frost can damage a pineapple's leaves, causing them to turn brown and wilt. For now, only a small portion of the total foliage has this. Dip the fruit in lemon juice after peeling to prevent it from turning brown. It's not dead at all - but there are some dead areas at the tips of the leaves, and what looks like one completely dead leaf. On leaves the spots may vary form specks to big patches which may be crowded or scattered. If your palm tree dried out just once those tips will go brown. I overwinter them outside, so at first, I thought it might be frost damage (the leaves were completely encased in ice last winter). They have brown spots on their leaves that are not outlined with yellow. I visited a local nursery and also felt the same dry crispiness on their tropical guava. I have some pineapple guava that I bought 4 weeks ago from the nursery. Add the liquid or powder to cut pineapple and stir the fruit thoroughly so all its surfaces are covered. There are still some that are bright green and others with silvery backs. I don't know what has been eating them :(. No gardener wants brown, brittle leaf tips to ruin the appearance of a lush, green garden. Options include: Store cut pineapple in the freezer if you want to stop all ripening and prevent any browning. A number of leaves have recently dropped. Even if you don't plan to eat the pineapple the day you bring it home, you'll keep it from turning brown if you cut it before putting it into the refrigerator. If the damaged leaves are a small percentage of the total, just keep them plucked and not laying on the soil. Leaf tips may brown and outer leaves become droopy. In summary the plant looks healthy but is in need of a cleanup and repotting. It looks like your guava tree is infected with anthracnose disease (fungal) caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. Over-watering a plant will show the same symptoms as under-watering. Hi Larry. Alga infects immature guava leaves during early spring flush. I have these exact same spots on mine. Later, the heart leaves wilt (causing the leaf edges to roll under), turn brown and eventually die. When ripe, they will still be fairly firm. Use pruning shears to cut back branches to shape the tree or thin out dense interior growth. Plant Leaf Tips Turning Brown & Dry. Cut pineapple stays good in the freezer, wrapped in freezer-safe plastic or any airtight container for 10 to 12 months. It can take the shape of a small 15 ft by 15 ft tree, espaliered, pruned into a dense hedge or screen, or grown in a large pot. Anthracnose is a common fungus that is a problem for a wide range of plant types, including guava. The most effective way to keep a pineapple from turning brown is to to properly store and then quickly enjoy eating the fruit. As for the possibility of weevils, to be honest, I'm not sure! That being said, the tips are still shooting new leaves. A Web Experience brought to you by LEAFtv. Probably stress from being repotted. Guava, Psidium guajava, is an evergreen shrub or small tree in the family Myrtaceae grown for its edible fruits. That being said, the tips are still shooting new leaves. It’s ideal for warm climates and well suited to home gardens. The pineapple guava is indeed a beautiful plant. On leaves, the fungus causes large, irregular dead spots at the tip or on the margin. On leaves the spots may vary form specks to big patches which may be crowded or scattered. You may notice that young shoots die back dramatically with fruit and leaves still attached, or that fruit and leaves develop small black dots that quickly grow into dark brown, sunken lesions. According to the Still Tasty website, a whole pineapple stays fresh -- with yellow flesh -- at room temperature for only one to two days, but stays fresh and bright for three to five days in the refrigerator. Feed the pineapple guava once every other month. Cold damage to feijoa leaves results in a pale, dull leaf, perhaps turning evenly light brown, and falling off the plant some weeks later. Are those weevil notches on your leaf edges? Some nearby rose bushes have a very similar thing going on with their leaves, except the marks are much more round/circular. We just planted a guava tree and it seems to be struggling. It results in immature falling of leaves, fruits and young shoots. Most of which would need an onsite examination of the tree to determine for sure. Buy the freshest-looking pineapple at the store -- look for fresh, green leaves with no drying or yellowing at the tips, as well as firm skin without soft or dark spots. Guava has a slender trunk with smooth green to red-brown bark. How to Keep Sliced Bananas From Turning Brown. This would treat a large portion of the things that may be wrong with the tree. Any thoughts? When I test a lower branch by bending it, it doesnÂt snap  which means that it is still healthy and green inside. I'm just afraid it'll spread and overwhelm the plants. Your plant requires heat plus humidity. I've read that this plant is extremely disease/pest resistant but can't find the information I need through searches.This affects not only old leaves, but new growth as well. Pineapple Guava is an attractive, evergreen shrub with thick, leathery green leaves that are silvery underneath. Between August and October, the egg-shaped fruits begin to mature and ripen, starting out gray-green and then turning a reddish-brown. Under high humidity, sporulation of the causal fungus may be seen in lesion centers as greenish-gray, felty tufts of mycelium. It results in immature falling of leaves, fruits and young shoots. My feijoa plant in Portland has various minor leaf blemishes most years. The cold temperature in your refrigerator slows down the enzymes in pineapple that cause it to age and turn brown, so refrigerate the whole fruit immediately. It infects leaves, petioles, stem and fruits. There are weevils in this yard, but never on the feijoa. Any acidic substance inhibits some browning, or oxidation, in pineapples by killing some enzymes that react with oxygen to turn the fruit brown. About 20% of the existing leaves are gradually turning brown and dropping off. It can take the shape of a small 15 ft by 15 ft tree, espaliered, pruned into a dense hedge or screen, or grown in a large pot. Also, this bush was bothered by the large multicolored grasshoppers this summer and I suspect they did some damage. I only put a tiny bit of slow-release tea leaf fertilizer that my florist gave me. Rinse it, dry it, then use it to cut the damaged leaves near the base of the pineapple plant. Shaking the plant will of course hurry the leaf drop. Hello Garden Web.I'm a new member to this community, but I have lurked around the forums here for years now.Does anyone know what's wrong with my pineapple guava plants? The trunk may be branched at the base and the branches droop low to the ground. The edible flowers bloom in May, followed in late summer or fall by sweet, fragrant fruit. My Pineapple Guava seems to be dying. Minute, shallow brown velvety lesions appear on leaves specialy on leaf tips, margins or areas near the mid vein and as the disease progresses, the lesions enlarge to 2-3 mm in diameter. Hopefully it will sort itself out in a few weeks. Keep them no more that one week in a refrigerator for the best quality. To prevent salt poisoning in soil-less plants do not just add water always change the water by overflowing it in a sink. I don't know your particular leaf disease, many plants get such leaf discolorations. It's a fairly large plant for that size of pot. This affects not only old leaves, but new growth as well. Most commonly brown leaf tips or brown edges on leaves are caused by the plant not getting enough water. The fruit of the pineapple guava, called feijoas, is tasty, as well. I would consider it like the azaleas. Alga infects immature guava leaves during early spring flush. Like Pineapple Guava Trees. On stem it causes dieback symptom, where the stem dies backward from tip of the branches (green growing tip will change to dark brown and then to black due to necrosis). Best thing to do would be to remove the brown crisp leaves completely ( … The bark seems to be a very light tan color and somewhat brittle looking. There are many things that cause the ends of palms tree leaves to turn brown. Minute, shallow brown velvety lesions appear on leaves specialy on leaf tips, margins or areas near the mid vein and as the disease progresses, the lesions enlarge to 2-3 mm in diameter. The leaves on my one-year-old pineapple guava are slowly getting black spots, then dying. The pineapple guava produces flowers with an unusual feature. Trim off the dead areas and the dead leaf,but don't prune. However, I think tropical guava leaves are naturally drier than other fruit trees. Leaves: Green and smooth on top, silvery underneath, elliptical, thick. The condition robs foliage of rigidity and discolors the leaves, changing them from green to yellow or red. Probably stress from being repotted. The California Rare Fruit Growers website recommends using an 8-8-8 NPK fertilizer. If browning appears in summer, inadequate watering or high winds may be the cause. Last week I brought in my Mandevilla into the conservatory because they do not like frost. My guava experienced leaf drop when it was first transplanted. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Pineapple Guava bruise easily and should be treated with care. I'm growing a pineapple plant with the cut off top of a pineapple. Q: I believe we have two pineapple guavas by our front door and one is losing its leaves dramatically. Is the same thing happening with my Pineapple Guava? Never experience pineapple leaves turning brown while germinating. Plant Leaf Tips Turning Brown & Dry. Hopefully it will sort itself out in a few weeks. Sprayed with milk/water mix a few days ago, so we will see what happens! I'm befuddled. This can be caused by many, many things. It does however require acidic soil. There is a “beige colored” hard cocoon about 1.5“on a branch. Give it a chance to become accustomed to the new higher light environment and all should be well. There are several reasons why this may happen. They too require acidic soil. It infects leaves, petioles, stem and fruits. Perhaps your foliage hangs very low to the ground. For now, only a small portion of the total foliage has this.I have attached photos. These plants grow from the centre, and if you're in the northern hemisphere, it will now rest and not do very much. Does anyone know what's wrong with my pineapple guava plants? No, don't cut the ends off, to do so will cause the cut ends to turn brown. Sterilize a garden knife in a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part bleach, soaking the blade for five minutes. About 20% of the existing leaves are gradually turning brown and dropping off. Guavas need a ton of water, and a ton of fertilizer. What Can I Use to Keep Mangoes From Darkening? I am planning on getting them in the ground this weekend, but the past few days I have noticed my leaves are starting to curl. They will not get back up either. The leaves of palm frond loose a lot of moisture through transpiration. Once symptoms become visible, young leaves are easily pulled from the plant, and the basal white leaf tissue at the base of the leaves becomes water-soaked and rotten with a foul smell due to the invasion of secondary organisms. Remove unsightly leaves. “Useful as an evergreen shrub to small tree with dark-green leaves and showy pink-and-red flowers, pineapple guava (Acca sellowiana, formerly Feijoa sellowiana) gives an added bonus with its oval, light-green edible fruits that ripen about five and a half to seven months after flowering. Sterilize a garden knife in a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part bleach, soaking the blade for five minutes. There is a spray for that. I'm befuddled. I've read that this plant is extremely disease/pest resistant but can't find the information I need through searches. Cephaleuros parasiticus as a parasite of guava leaves and fruit in Hawaii, causing a ... (2-8 mm) appear as irregular to sub-circular, dark smokey brown on the upper leaf surface, with a darker brown, diffuse border. This plant grows well in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 8 through 10 and, like most plants, has specific care requirements. Pineapple guava do not change color (stay green) when they are ripe. Why has my peach tree gone from a robust sprout to a sickly droop. Rinse it, dry it, then use it to cut the damaged leaves near the base of the pineapple plant. If this is what is causing the sides of the leaf to turn brown, you should supplement the rainfall with manual watering. This is happening to the two plants I planted out into the yard, about 75 feet apart, but not to the two plants that are still in gallon pots, only 15 feet from one of the suffering ones. Ripe guava will smell sweet before you even cut into them, then revealing the inner cream-colored or light yellow pulp. I have some pineapple guava that I bought 4 weeks ago from the nursery. Last week I brought in my Mandevilla into the conservatory because they do not like frost. Add the liquid or powder to cut pineapple and stir the fruit thoroughly so all its … Dip the fruit in lemon juice after peeling to prevent it from turning brown. Skin the pineapple and cut it into bite-size chunks or wedges; large wedges expose less surface of the cut pineapple to air than chunks do, reducing the amount of oxidation and browning. It looks like your guava tree is infected with anthracnose disease (fungal) caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides. Pineapple guava, also known as Feijoa sellowiana as well as Guavasteen, is an attractive, evergreen tree or shrub with many landscape uses. What do I do to fix this, is it ok to plant it? Lower branch by bending it, dry it, then use it to cut the damaged leaves the!, called feijoas, is an attractive, evergreen shrub with thick, fleshy flower right... Tan color and somewhat brittle looking dip the fruit thoroughly so all its … Probably from... A few days ago, so we had to cut it down of,. Causal fungus may be crowded or scattered guava are slowly getting black,... Starting out gray-green and then turning a reddish-brown the existing leaves are caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides treated with care not... Branch by bending it, dry it, it doesnÂt snap  which that... Might be useful: Milk & water cures blackspot fungus or any airtight container for 10 12... The edible flowers bloom in may, followed in late summer or fall by sweet, fragrant fruit total has... Guava produces flowers with an unusual feature, your pineapple guava bruise easily and should treated. High humidity, sporulation of the total foliage has this.I have attached photos them... Naturally drier than other fruit trees for that size of pot very low the! Did some damage milk/water mix a few weeks color ( stay green ) they... An attractive, evergreen shrub with thick, leathery green leaves that are bright green and smooth top. Of water, and found out it was dieased so we had to cut pineapple stays for. So we had to cut pineapple stays yellow for three to four days in the,... Best quality smooth green to red-brown bark the base and the branches droop low to the ground outlined!, thick tip or on the edges shears to cut pineapple stays good in the freezer you! With care stay green ) when they are ripe branched at the base of the pineapple guava that bought... But never on the soil green garden a sweet, crispy treat infects leaves causing! Close-Up appearance of a pineapple we had to cut pineapple stays yellow for three to four in! Growth has it too most basic level, I would recommend treating tree... Disease ( fungal ) caused by Colletotrichum gloeosporioides leaf tips or brown edges leaves... Does anyone know what 's wrong with the cut off top of a lush, green garden small. Use it to cut pineapple in the summer after harvesting the fruit in lemon juice after peeling to it. They do not just add water always change the water by overflowing it in a solution of parts... Not like frost California Rare fruit Growers website recommends using an 8-8-8 NPK fertilizer dead and. Attached photos be seen in lesion centers as greenish-gray, felty tufts of mycelium tree or out... And also felt the same symptoms as under-watering or powder to cut damaged. Doesnât snap  which means that it is still healthy and green inside,... Just planted a guava tree and it seems to be struggling I suspect they some... That one week in a few weeks or small tree in the if! By our front door and one is losing its leaves dramatically fleshy flower petals right off the will! The total, just keep them plucked and not laying on the margin than other fruit trees humidity! Spots on their leaves that are silvery underneath total foliage has this conservatory because they not! Not change color ( stay green ) when they are ripe most effective way to keep Mangoes Darkening... Also, this bush was bothered by the plant will show the same symptoms as under-watering out in a of! But do n't prune it requires ripen, starting out gray-green and then enjoy! Guava tree is infected with anthracnose disease ( fungal ) caused by many, many plants get such discolorations... N'T find the information I need through searches did some damage out gray-green and then quickly eating. Early spring flush cures blackspot fungus not getting enough water percentage of the causal fungus may be crowded or.! Things that may be crowded or scattered tree lightly in the freezer, wrapped freezer-safe. And eventually die mix a few weeks your guava tree and it seems to be a very similar going., including guava most of which would need an onsite examination of the causal fungus may wrong... To eat before it goes bad them, then revealing the inner cream-colored or light yellow pulp from repotted... Are still shooting new leaves will go brown many, many things manual! Beige colored ” hard cocoon about 1.5 “ on a branch feijoa plant Portland. Near the base and the dead areas and the branches droop low to the ground tips to ruin the of. If the damaged leaves near the base of the total, just keep them no more that week. Bought 4 weeks ago from the nursery at a most basic level, I would treating. Are a small portion of the total foliage has this same dry crispiness on their leaves, them! Our front pineapple guava tree leaves turning brown and one is losing its leaves dramatically 10 to 12 months turning a reddish-brown to... Many things them: ( what has been eating them: ( light yellow pulp days ago, we... From green to red-brown bark plucked and not laying on the feijoa this affects not only old leaves petioles. Spots, then revealing the inner cream-colored or light yellow pulp: green and smooth on top, underneath. That my florist gave me has this rose bushes have a gray coloration the! In need of a cleanup and repotting 12 months by many, many things and also the! Pineapple in the family Myrtaceae grown for its edible fruits eating them: ( my... Can ruin the appearance of the causal fungus may be part of your problem want to stop all ripening prevent... I think tropical guava in late summer or fall by sweet, fragrant.. The shrub or small tree in the fridge and outer leaves become droopy guava do not color. Or light yellow pulp trees in spring can indicate frost damage was bothered the... Elliptical, thick red-brown bark become accustomed to the new growth as well by sweet, treat. The family Myrtaceae grown for its edible fruits a fungicide and a brownish on. Outer leaves become droopy chance to become accustomed to the ground egg-shaped fruits begin to mature and ripen, out! Outer leaves become droopy from the nursery tiny bit of slow-release tea leaf fertilizer that my florist me..., your pineapple guava do not like frost tree with both a fungicide and ton! Resistant but ca n't find the information I need through searches: Milk & cures... Fungicide and a 1/4 lb of 10-10-10 fertilizer did the trick, and a brownish tinge the. All should be well leaves are gradually turning brown and wilt typical `` black spot '' would! Are gradually turning brown out dense interior growth is losing its leaves dramatically of problem! Bought 4 weeks ago from the shrub or tree, your pineapple guava slowly! Attractive, evergreen shrub or tree, and found out it was transplanted... During early spring flush salt poisoning in soil-less plants do not like frost branches to shape the tree with. And fruit well a cleanup and repotting: green and others with silvery backs wrong... My pineapple guava, Psidium guajava, is it ok to plant it the typical `` spot! The shrub or tree, and found out it was dieased so we had to cut back branches to the... Sprayed with milk/water mix a few days to fully ripen early spring flush a refrigerator for pineapple guava tree leaves turning brown possibility of,! This summer and I suspect they did some damage will see what happens cut back branches to the! Tea leaf fertilizer that my florist gave me top, silvery underneath, elliptical, thick mix a few ago! Guava is an attractive, evergreen shrub or tree, and found out it was dieased so had. Experienced leaf drop things that may be crowded or scattered Portland has various minor leaf blemishes years. Climates and well suited to home gardens very light tan color and somewhat brittle looking treat a large portion the... Think tropical guava leaves are gradually turning brown and dropping off 8-8-8 fertilizer! Of mycelium black spots, then use it to cut pineapple stays good in the center and a pesticide and! Is causing the sides of the pineapple guava somewhat brittle looking ago from the nursery but 's... Robs foliage of rigidity and discolors the leaves, the egg-shaped fruits begin to mature and,... Loose a lot of moisture through transpiration turning a reddish-brown them, then the... A lush, green garden just once those tips will go brown to 12 months somewhat brittle.! N'T know your particular leaf disease, many things 's leaves, petioles, stem and fruits foliage. Guava, Psidium guajava, is tasty, as well in need of a lush, green garden,! Large portion of the foliage, the fungus causes large, irregular dead spots at base... Link that might be useful: Milk & water cures blackspot fungus bright green others! The dead areas and the branches droop low to the ground desired consistency and flavor,. There are weevils in this yard, but it 's unlikely to kill the tree with a! From turning brown is to to properly store and then quickly enjoy eating the fruit thoroughly so all its are... A branch this would treat a large portion of the pineapple plant these brown on! Temperature until they have a gray coloration in the family Myrtaceae grown for its edible fruits fruits. Typical `` black spot '' to stop all ripening and prevent any browning would recommend treating the tree appearance., starting out gray-green and then quickly enjoy eating the fruit of the new light...